Friday, February 14, 2014

What can I do with a Dalmatian?

I’d always considered myself a music aficionado because I knew Sublime, well apparently I’m not that good because after coming home from the record store with the studio self-titled album I realized I don’t really know Sublime. Actually I had fallen into the basic trap of my generation, I knew the radio songs, and had never really cared to learn the rest of the album. And you can’t imagine my surprise when I found out that they had two albums out before this one, they are only lesser known because they weren't from a major label. So my education is still taking place because I just bought the vinyl.

Thing is, I never bought this album on CD or cassette, I wasn’t a big enough fan but, over the years I would hear their music on the radio, and find out that this amazing song I was hearing, was actually by Sublime. Of course I am glad that my first real hearing of the album is on 180 gram vinyl. I am just sad I don’t have a dedicated sub-woofer, to really feel the base. I know I am missing out, so I hope there isn’t a duplicate post after a “new hearing” in a few days when my sub arrives.

As I said this album comes with two records, for sides, with the original artwork. The records being nice and thick have a great sound, a great place to start if you know Sublime but don’t’ know Sublime.
What intrigues me about this band is the driving rock, ska, and punk then the laid back reggae. The third side moves fast and hard, then an immediate shift when one flips the record and settles into Caress Me Down. This band fearlessly moves back and forth between styles, listening is its own journey.


There will never be new Sublime. Bradley Nowell, lead singer and guitarist died of a drug overdose just weeks before the release of Sublime on MCA records. So what is there to do? Nowell saved up $500 dollars to rescue a Dalmatian from abuse. This dog named Lou Dog became the group’s mascot. So maybe there is no new Sublime music, but, you can go out and save an animal today. And every time you look at your adopted loved one remember, life is too short so love the one you got.

No comments:

Post a Comment